Eco-Friendly & Sustainability practices of Carver's Brewery & Restaurant in Durango, CO
THINK GREEN DRINK BEER
On January 14th, 2010 Carvers was named Durango's GREEN BUSINESS OF THE YEAR at the Durango Chamber of Commerce Awards night.
Carvers has made every effort to protect our future by using thoughtful alternative and sustainable energy solutions. We lead by example by doing everything possible to become more environmentally responsible, and hope that our alternative powered, eco-conscious restaurant and brewery sets the standard.
Eco-Friendly Refillable Growler
In an effort to reduce our environmental impact, we sell beer in Growlers. These are refillable jugs that provide you, the consumer, with a cheaper better way to buy beer, while also helping the environment.
Why Love Jugs?
Save Money: Do the math - we challenge you to find better beer for a better price, period.
Save Resources: Possibly the most eco-friendly beer anywhere: Customers re-using our jugs have kept over 1.2 million bottles and cans out of the wastestream. Our brew pub is solar-hot-water heated and entirely wind powered. No fossil fuels are used to transport our beer.
Savor Good Taste: We offer 10 distinct beers to ensure a favorite for everyone, available at only one place in the world: 1022 Main Ave in Durango, Colorado.
Heated by the Sun
In April 2008 Carver Brewing Co. installed 16 solar collectors, the largest solar hot water system in Durango at the time. The array not only heats water but heats the restaurant. The array of collectors you see feeds into a solar heated water storage that has a 900 gallon capacity.
Powered by the Wind
Carvers was the first 100% Wind powered Restaurant and Brewery in Durango. We purchase all of our electricity as "Green Power", electricity generated from clean, renewable resources. This renewable energy and its attributes, comes from wind- generating facilities across the western United States.
Other Green Practices
Other Green Facts about Carvers
- We offer beer made with 100% organic ingredients.
- Spent grain from brewing is used by local ranchers.
- Used coffee grounds are composted by local farmers.
- Brew system recaptures and reuses brewing water.
- State-of-the-art jug and keg washer further reduces water waste.
- To-go containers are made with recycled cardboard.
- Carvers is a presenting sponsor of the 2009-2010 Green Business Roundtable.
- Supporter of sustainable, local businesses and farmers.
- Named finalist for 2008 Green Business of the Year.